Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lucas Wall's Cycling Skills Blog


I admit, sometimes there are interesting things in this world that I miss even though most of the rest of society is well aware of them. Well, even I stumble on to these interesting things now and then. And that's how I found Lucas Wall's blog, cyclingskills.blogspot.com.

It's been around since July of '08 from what I can tell. It would have been more helpful if it would have been around when I started racing on the road and riding in groups that like to crush legs. I needed this kind of helpful info. Instead, I worked hard at doing stupid things in order to give others someone to express their creative outrage toward.

Understand, unlike Things Bike, Cycling Skills is a sensible blog. You'll actually learn something there. It has one article after another that is well written. It clearly explains topics of interest to bike racers, particularly new bike racers getting into the scene: how to hand up a water bottle, the purpose of group rides (all this time I thought it was to hurt others while proving you dominate), how to perform a good lead out, where to place your race numbers, and so on. To many of us, these things are either learned after years of fumbling, or never learned at all, though we do pretend we know them ("Yeah, lead outs, man. Like, you know, you get out in front and like you lead...you know...like...out.")

Don't miss the very funny YouTube video of the guy who needed to learn bike handling skills before attempting the victory "V," (August 31, 2008).

Go there. There's a place for stupid, but a bike race isn't that place.

No comments: