Monday, November 9, 2009

So, How Was Iceman 2009?

Lines
I wasn't there this year, so I can't say anything about it, but the sheer numbers at Iceman must have made for a major tirerubber. Judging by the close finishing times in most categories, there must have been one long line of bikes stretching from Kalkaska to Timber Ridge.

My History of Foolishness Digression
I used to motorcycle these same trails as a teen back in the early seventies. I often got lost, occasionally ran out of gas. I didn't care. I usually pushed my little Yamaha until I found a house, or someone kind enough to siphon a bit of gas out of their car tank to get me to Williamsburg to fill up. I grew up in Traverse City and I love the area. I particularly liked these woods.

They were often traversed by tough looking hombres in pickup trucks who worked the oil derricks. That's mainly why there are so many dirt roads criss-crossing the area. There's oil, (or gas? I'm really not sure), in them thar rolling hills.

I also cross country skied the Sands Lakes Quiet Area even before it was SLQA. Thank goodness they made it a quiet area because there were those who used to party down on those lakes in the summer, pulling their stinky vehicles right up to the edge of the water. Nice to get those yahoos out of there. As noted, I was once a teen. My beat up Pinto sometimes found its way down there.

Dave
I have a friend, Dave Steffey, who I both hung out with and rode motorcycles with back then. We rode together for years, but it was in that area, due to a particular experience, that I decided to end my era of motorcycling.

I was sixteen and getting really crazy on that bike. Dave, another guy and I were out weaving through the trails. We got on to a sandy powerline (sand is a fact of life up there). My wheel got caught in some wire fencing going from the trail to the powerline so I had to play a game of catch up once I broke free. The last thing I saw on my speedometer was 60+mph. Then I hit a hidden ditch on the other side of a small rise. It was a great tumble--and would have been kind of fun in the way sky diving is fun as long as you know that the parachute will unfurl--if the motorcycle hadn't landed on my foot.

I felt that foot for the next six months with every step. After that day I knew it was time to move away from motorcycles for a while until I tamed a bit. (Dave and I eventually drove that Pinto out to California, but that's another story.)

Eventually I found bicycles. Thank goodness. I can still do damage, but not at 60mph.

Iceman
I like those woods, roads and trails even more now as a place to race Iceman and ride trail bikes. There's an energy to the race that can't be compared to much of anything. It is all adrenaline and sheer fun. The woods are beautiful. Steve Brown is a virtuoso organizer.

The Number 11
Odd and interesting that three of my good friends all finished in their respective categories in eleventh place.

Ben Caldwell, 11th Place, 40-44 men
Mike Belanger, 11th Place, 45-49 men
Dave Steffey, 11th Place, 50-54 men (yes, this is the same Dave mentioned above)

Mike even came back the next day and placed second in his category in the Ice Cross. I think he raced cross bikes both days. Phenom.

I'm pretty sure Dave told me he raced the original Iceman in '89. I think he bailed in the late 90's, opting for the night ride over the course the night before the race. He's back to playing in the daytime and racing like a maniac. I've done singletrack with him and he's a mongoose on those slinky little trails. He just slides through those trees. All those years in our youth on his little Suzuki must have accounted for something.

Other Kudos
There's a guy named Weinert. The name's familiar from somewhere. He came in 1st in the 40+ Singlespeed category, ripping up the course in 1:43:39.

Jay Moncel, another CX notable, came in 3rd in Men's 35-39 at 1:46:52.

Ray Dybowski came in 2nd in Sport/Clydesdales at 1:49:24.

Marne Smiley--racing Pro/Expert!--came in 8th at 1:55:49. Way to go, Marne!

Congrats to everyone who raced this year. Best BumperBike course in the country.

I'd like to hear your take on the race. Let us know how it was.




1 comment:

Mark said...

Ice Cross photos

http://teambikesource.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album93