Friday, March 26, 2010

Barry-Roubaix, Mr. B, Beeline to STS & Spring Fling

Mark Braun (Mr. B)
Okay, I did a stupid thing a couple of days ago (surprise!). I was out riding the dirt roads north of town taking photos of whatever struck my eye. Then this guy approaches on a bike. I wave, realize it's Mr. B, and wave harder. He doesn't know me, but everyone knows Mr. B. I've listened to his great boogie piano stomps for years. He thought I was someone else, so he stopped. That someone else should be deeply flattered because Mr. B thought I looked a lot like his friend, Brian Rosewarne. That only goes to show that all us bikers look alike under the lycra, helmets and cool shades. Brian and I do wear the same team kit, and he is a suave guy, so I see the mixup.

Brian is, of course, one or two or fifteen years my junior, but what's a few years? I left the helmet on to keep up the more youthful impression. The "mature" hair color would have tipped Mr. B off to my true vintage. Cutting me in half would have revealed a lot of rings to count, though I don't often allow that.

Anyway, my error? I forgot to lift the camera to take Mr. B's photo. He's a very friendly, gregarious guy and we were so quickly caught up in conversation that I completely forgot. (See the recent Bike Minded post for a further explanation of this phenomenon.) Got some nice barn pictures, though.

Here's why this all ties in: Mr. B has a concert coming up April 10th and 11th at the Ark (7:30pm both nights). It's his annual Piano Celebration--and it involves a bike.

"Part of the proceeds from this weekend's celebration will go to support Mr. B's Joybox Express -- a bicycle with a piano pulled along on its own little trailer. With the help of this amazing contraption, Mr. B takes his show on the road to raise money for kids' music and athletics charities."

Go to: theark.org/2315.html for more info on this concert.

If you haven't seen his dazzling Joybox Express go to:
annarborchronicle.com/2009/06/22/gearing-up-for-art-fairs, or,
www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2009/07/boogie_woogie_pianist_mark_bra.html
You'll see photos of, and learn more about, the JBExpress bike that hauls his axe. Be aware, Mr. B is no small axe to follow. (My daughter groans when I come up with these, so don't hold back, groan away.)

It's a good cause, it's bike and music related--what more could you want!--so check it out.

Barry-Roubaix
This weekend, though, is devoted to some early season bike racing. Barry-Roubaix takes place on Saturday, the 27th. I've signed up for the 62 mile elite suffer fest. My only hope is that no one has been riding all winter and this is their first day out for the season. Long shot, but I do live in my own little world of pretend. I will report back next week on the joys of the race if I'm in any condition to do so.

Go to: www.barry-roubaix.com to get more info on the race itself.

Spring Training Races
Two siblings, the Flying Rhino's Spring Fling, and the Ann Arbor Velo Club's Spring Training Series begin this weekend. They take place back-to-back on Saturday the 27th (Fling) and Sunday the 28th (STS) on their respective courses, then follow through April.

For Spring Fling, go to: www.flyingrhinocc.com/Home/index_b.htm

For the STS, go to: aasts.blogspot.com

These are fantastic ways to either hone all the training you've been doing (or not doing) this past winter, or to learn how to road race. There are A (expert), B (intermediate), and C (beginner) categories and it's all very inclusive and a lot of fun.

Spring is here. Time to get out and enjoy the sprouting of wheels from the fecund earth.

1 comment:

ask said...

You have to love the work of Mark Nobilette, the guy borders on genius.