Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lumberjack 100: Mind over What does it Matter?

February 1. I clicked the button that said I was entered. It was a moment of elation.

This isn't me. This is Brian. Somebody's trying to give him directions to the shower. He keeps asking where the big fuzzy badger went. He's a bit obsessed about this badger. This is what I'm afraid of. It worries me that post race I, too, will babble incoherently. Not that you were babbling, Brian. The fuzzy badger is right behind you. Can't you see him? Everything's okay.

Now. Realization. In less than a month I'm somehow supposed to be prepared for 100
undulating miles on a mountain bike. A few weeks back I did the Poto twice. Does that count? That's 35 miles. It hurt. Let's do the math. 100 - 35 = No, Not Nearly Enough.

I'm trying to figure out which rig will handle the punishment of the full 100 miles. This is the bike I've been training on. It's holding out well I think. I didn't even notice the saddle was missing. I wonder how long it's been gone?

Worse,
I've told others I've entered, thinking I'd get at least a little pity. Instead, I've learned that they know bikers who are entered in Leadville, a "real" endurance race. I get the implication, though I wish they'd pat me on top of the head for the full effect. It's like Michigan's version is some lame junior excuse for an endurance event. It's like I've entered a contest where you have to jump out of a plane without a parachute at 500 feet, only there's another contest where they do it at 1000 feet. Let's face it, the landing's going to require a bit of cleanup either way. Sorry folks, this is still a racy century on an mtb. I may not be Leadville material (yet!), but when you see me during the latter half of this race you'll see true misery, I promise you that. And I look forward to it. That's even scarier. I'm looking forward to it. Explain it to me.

This is the other option. It has a saddle, a definite plus. I even like the metal cross piece on the handlebars. Good for strength. And if I'm out a bit longer than expected it does have a fender mounted headlight--a definite plus. My only concern is that this, plus the pneumatic tires and rack, adds weight. Not sure how much extra I want to schelp around. This one doesn't have a chainguard. Tough decision.

I'm open to any advice. Food (before and during this masochistic exercise--post race food will include beer, that's a given), pacing, survival, name of a good biker therapist?

June 19th is coming. Can't do much to change that.

..........................oRo..

No comments: